Tuesday 27 May 2008

Duncan Powell Interview 004

Just Garage speaks to one of the best producers/remixers around at the moment, Duncan Powell.

1) How would you describe the uk garage scene at the moment?

You know what, you'll get a different answer on that one every time when you ask that question! right now, id'e say its going through bad times, things are very very slow. There's no focus, nothing to aim for, sales are at an all time low. Most people don't seem to want to pay for music. Is it all related to the credit crunch? maybe!

All I know is that musically, there's some great stuff being made, but hardly any of it is getting released. That's not a good stage to be at. Something needs to change, but I don't know what. Is making music free the way to go? maybe for the artists, but then it would kill off shops on the flip side. It all gets a bit too deep when you start thinking like that!

2) You've been largely involved in the uk garage scene for a long time now, how has garage music changed now from when you first broke into the scene?

I guess it has been a good few years now! I still feel relatively new to it! The actual music itself hasn't majorly changed. The only thing that's changed really is the quantity of music and the level of exposure/promotion. Since Karl left choice and Matt left kiss there was a massive downturn in enthusiasm for the producers I think, we are only left with EZ holding the flag on a legal station. Only 1 major outlet for tracks to be played and heard.

3) What's the next Duncan Powell Release going to be?

I'm not sure what will be next, I'm in talks with a few labels, but with the way releases are at the moment, I'm not sure what is round the corner!

4) Are there any collaborations forthcoming from yourself with any others producers or artists involved within the scene?

Me & Sol keep talking about making another collab, that one will happen for definite!

5) We've had so many top quality releases from yourself over the years, what's your personal favorite?

Firstly, thanks for the compliment! My favorite.... hmm, either "Funk Drop" on Solo, "Whenever" - the collab with Artifact, or "Highly Effective" on the MRP summer collections Ep

6) What's your all time favorite UKG tune?

I don't have one... I have about 300!! there have been so many great records and so many personal favorites.... if I had to pick one... Angie Stone - Life Story - Booker T Dub. Never get bored of playing it and it has so much energy!

7) What's happening with the Duncan Powell radio show at the moment?

Currently on Hiatus! I love doing radio and find that it gives you something to make new tracks for, however I needed my Sundays back! for 5 years, every Sunday was spent driving to and from radio, and bring based outside of London, that's a lot of motorway driving! Subjam was a 5 & 1/2 hour round trip for me and as much as I loved it, I needed an extended break so left in January this year. I am going to be back on a regular show again soon, details will announced shortly!

8) If you could personally change one thing about the uk garage scene, what would it be?

Id love for there to be a big enough market for the music that gets made to get the recognition it deserves. If we can get back to the days of selling 500-800 records that would be awesome.

9) Finally what's inspired you to start your own personal blog?

I'm a music fan/collector more than I am a dj/producer. I love music, and I'm constantly checking out new tracks. I want to share with friends and anyone else who cares the tracks/bands/remixes I discover along the way and hopefully increase exposure to them along the way. If one person likes a track they hear on my blog then goes and buys the album then it was worth while! I also will be able to look at the blog in a year or so's time and enjoy rediscovering forgotten music!

Just Garage would like to thank Duncan Powell for conducting this interview with us. For more information on Duncan Powell check out www.myspace.com/duncanpowell or alternatively check out his blog www.duncanpowell.blogspot.com Best Wishes with future releases to Duncan Powell

No comments: