Thursday 15 May 2008

Lauren Mason Interview 001


Just Garage Catches up with the Lady of the moment: Lauren Mason

1) Whats your opinion on UK Garage music in general?

I love garage music! In my opinion the best years for me musically were the old school garage days! Every tune was an anthem! I think that 2 step garage is sooo under rated! We should deffo bring it back. For me garage music reminds me of when music was about good vibes and having nothing but FUN!

2) You've worked with a few bassline producers recently, however ive heard that bassline isnt really a genre that greatly interests you. Does this apply to garage music aswell, or just the sub-genre of bassline?

If i am being honest its not that i dont like bassline but as a singer i find it really hard to write melodys to it! When i do write songs i have to get a vibe from the instrumental and when i get that vibe the concept speaks for itself... I have only ever recorded to 1 bassline track and that's "Gonna Get You" Produced by Wittyboy and Featuring JME.
And the reason why i found this so easy to do was Witty put an amazing salsa melody in there which kind of took my mind away from the madness off the actual bassline sounds!
Every other Bassline track with my vocals on has been a remix. I would make garage however alll daaaay looooong!


3) Youve worked with some of the leading names within the grime scene, terror danjah, bless beats and scorcher to name a few, would you consider working with producers from the garage scene on a track?

Funny you should say that because i am about to do a project with Artful Dodger! So excited to get that track done! Also i am working on something with Danny C (AIM RECORDS) and there's talk of a little Dj Luck, MC Supplier and LM Collab! woop woop Im real excited!

4) Whens the KEEPING IT BLONDE album being released?

We are hoping for end of June! I know everyone thinks that im soooo long so i will set the story straight with you guys. My CD has been completed since AUG 07! It was a mixtape at first but then i had loads of problems with distribution and stuff (people say they can help and dont)... In december i was approached by someone that saw potential in the CD and asked if they could help turn it into an album! Obviously the whole cd had to be mastered, some tunes were re done and arranged different... and as everyone knows thats a massively time consuming task! However the sound of the album compared to how it was is amazing and i cant wait for it to be out! I know people are waiting for it but please let them know it is fully out of my hands!

5) Whats your favourite track off of the album?

Agggh there are a few that conceptially mean alot to me! But if i had to chose it would be between "Caught me" or "Female Hustler" ft Little Dee! Both tracks are really fun! And i had the upmost fun recording them.

6) After the release of the album, what can we expect in the future from yourself?

Well im currently working on my 2nd Album which i fully intend to push myself to the next level as a singer but most importantly as a songwriter! Im going to go where no other girl in grime has gone before! I am also featured on a few other projects such as Sway and Bruza's album, Hardrive Vol2 by Terror Danjah, if im bein honest i have forgot most of them but i have done alot of work in the past year! Also look out for the Lauren Mason & Shabba D Collab - That track excites me! hehehe

7) Finally, which artists, mc's, dj's and producers should we keep an eye out for during the rest of 2008 + beyond?

Producer wise look out for Handz! (www.myspace.com/handzartist) My 17 year old wizz kid! Also make sure you check out LOUDMOUTH in my opinion one of the UK's hottest unsigned Rappers! Go to his myspace and download Part 1 of his new mix cd 55 freestyles! (www.myspace.com/loudmouthuk)

Just Garage would like to thank Lauren Mason for taking time out to answer these questions and wish her all the best with her forthcoming album. Check out www.myspace.com/laurenmason1 for more information, Or check out http://www.truefm.net/ each and every tuesday evening 8pm till 10pm to hear the exclusive Lauren Mason weekly radio show.

No comments: